Sir Ron,

I've been aware of the deficiencies of the TE formula for quite some time, knowing comparative results were based on momentum alone. Then the TKO is similar with the exception of caliber being introduced which is the main distinction between the terminal effect of various calibers if momentum is the same.

I've played with a dozen different formulas, at least, and have felt ,rightly or wrongly, that momentum is more important than KE, but didn't want to ignore KE as it is a factor.

One other formula that takes in M, SD and CSA, is the following, and I actually like it better though it doesn't consider KE.

Mom. X SD X CSA = KE

Example from my former blog:

1342 fps at impact from a 500gr/.458-cal = 671000 x .341 x .165 /300 = 125.8 TE (the 300 number is to reduce it to manageable terms)

A 250gr x 2684 = 671000 x .313 x .09 (250gr/.338 cal) /300 = 63 TE
A 275gr x 2440 = 671000 x .348 x .09 (275gr/.338 cal)/300 = 70 TE

So in effect momentum, SD and CSA have been included while KE is ignored,

The distinction in the two.338 loads (which have the same mom. as the .458 load) is based solely on the SD distinctions while in other caliber sequences both SD, CSA and momentum might be involved.

In the curent MTE formula, TE would be equal in the three distinct loads above (though at different ranges) -- and, of course, in most cases it would be very difficult for lesser cartridges to equal the .458 using a 500gr (even at less than an optimum load) in momentum at the same impact range. Of course, I counted on that.

But I think I will now go to the momentum formula above x SD x CSA.

As I've written many times, its a comparative thing for personal use, though many other variables could always happen or be introduced, as in the last on bullet testing.

But many thanks for your input, it has convinced me to ignore KE, though I still think it has value because of experience and science.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus