Originally Posted by SLGPT
Just got in from shooting the 458's over the radar. Out of my 23" barrel from the R8, the WM averaged 2125 at the muzzle, and the Lott averaged 2270 at the muzzle. Both were 500g Federal factory ammo. If there was any loss at all from the WM being fired in a Lott chamber, then I'm not sure why anyone buys a Lott today, lol. I will say though, that, unlike the first time I fired the Lott last week, today the Lott ammo seemed to be gentler than the WM ammo. Either way, if you can show me an animal that can tell the difference, under any circumstance within 100 yards, I'd be amazed. The difference in velocity at 100 yards, btw, was even less, 1924 for the WM vs 1980 for the Lott.

Originally Posted by SLGPT
If anyone has any thoughts on the velocity I was getting, I would be interested to hear them. 145fps difference hardly seems worth anything, and at 100 yards, only a 64fps difference. Can't imagine the Lott showing any difference at all on game, over the great 458WM. The Blaser design is pretty unique, and it allows for things not possible with a conventional bolt gun. In this case, the bolt throw and overall length are not negatively affected by using the Lott, and in those two areas, using the WM provides no benefit. In a conventional bolt gun, of course there are differences that can matter to some. Looking forward to my Mark X arriving Monday.

Sir Roo,
My thoughts first of all came to what was the factory loaded bullet used in each of those loads,
500-grain Federal Fusion soft nose or TBBC or TBSS or Woodleigh HYDRO, etc.,
in both the .458 WinMag and .458 Lott ?

I have tested the .458 WinMag 500-gr Federal Fusion soft nose
and the 500-gr HYDRO Federal factory loads in a 24"-barrel of M70 Super Grade from SC.
Way faster than advertised for the Fusion: 2192 fps MV (2177 fps 5-yard) average for 5 shots at 46*F.
For the HYDRO: 2062 fps MV (2046 fps 5-yard) average for 5 shots at 46*F, same rifle, same shooting session.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.