Gentlemen,

I have been hunting hard with 'Fatso' (my Zastava .458) nearly every weekend trying to desperately collect a Sambar but alas, haven't got one...yet!

But I've seen a few and been I've honked plenty of times... bloody things!

However I was out again yesterday and although I saw no Sambar I did see a herd of Fallow deer about 100m away from where I was positioned. So I thought I'd see if a .458 Win Mag with 550gn Woodleighs was adequate for Fallow!

I crept to about 80m away from a doe feeding off from the group and carefully aimed.
Just as I was about to shoot she looked up and saw me so I quickly fired. I lost view of her under recoil but the shot felt good. As I carefully walked to where I last saw her I saw a big pile of hair on the ground. I few more steps and I found her lying dead.
I'd hit her just a bit off centre of the chest and the projectile had exited just behind the ribs. What was unusual was the hair was blown off the deer along where the bullet travelled. Interesting, I'd never seen that before...

So guys, I am here to tell you if you are hunting Fallow a .458 Winchester Magnum is adequate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...