Originally Posted by JFE

Regarding your bottom metal, when the Serbs open up standard length Whitworths, Zastavas etc to make 375 H&H models, they do a similar mod to your modified bottom metal. The difference is that a thin strap of metal (thinner than the material used to modify yours) is soldered to the outside of the mag box, not the inside as yours has been modified. If I recall correctly the box is cut a little bit further back too. It’s a questionable mod but you never hear of users complain that it fails.

Gotta admit I was a bit surprised to see the "inside job" done on mine.
An "outside job" would allow less crowding in the front of Old Fugly's box.

Rather than buy a new box if you know someone handy with a welder, I’d remove the mod at the front of your box, look for a spare box that you can cut and shut into place. This will restore the width to the front of the box. If you want to get fancy you could weld in a piece of tougher steel in the front of the box so it resists denting better.

Excellent. I will have a spare Whitworth box after I get the Sunny Hill # 430 for New Fugly the .458 WinRuger.
Or, I can keep Old Fugly's "spitzer box" as a spare and cut on the other one to do something like this:

[Linked Image]

Or was that rear wall just filed thin to move it rearward ?
Looks flimsy in the rear wall thickness, but no battering issues in rear of magazine.
Bare wood sides of magazine internally survived for over a century.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.