Originally Posted by bcelliott
Ron, thanks for the Watts history. Man, that .46 WCF is a serious cartridge!

Since you are proposing making the .450 Alaskan better by giving it a Win Mag throat, couldn't we also improve it by lessening the case body taper to about 0.007" per inch like modern cases? This should yield about 2 more grains of powder--perhaps not worth it--while decreasing bolt thrust. I can't find a drawing of .450-348 Ackley Improved, so this may have already been done.

bcelliott,

Dave Kiff, PT&G, has the reamer for a "450/348 Ack Imp" with a reamer shoulder diameter of 0.5350" (40 degrees)
as compared to his "450 Alaskan" reamer with a shoulder diameter of 0.5210" (16*32').
Those are reamer minimums.
The brass maximum for the traditional 450 Alaskan is 0.5200" (16*30') at the shoulder diameter, so only 0.001" tolerance minimum. That'll double headspace a rimmed cartridge.

[Linked Image]

The .450 Alaskan pictured at ammoguidedotcom is slightly different, mostly in length of brass (2.250") which gives it a longer neck,
and the neck is tighter and with no taper. The algorithm used there to calculate gross water capacity yields only 88.1 grains, not reality:

[Linked Image]

Greater taper feeds better, but bolt thrust reduction is a great selling point for the AI version, according to Ackley.

I will scan the improved and traditional reamer drawings and do a simple RCBS cartridge design for the PT&G AI reamer
and get it up here, later, for fun.

More fun is still awaiting wind, weather, and domestic chores getting in the way of shooting those BP loads for the .458 WM+ and .45-2.6" SWT.
I need to go to a private range so as to use the Oehler 35P at 10 yards instead of 5 yards, with a 100-yard paper target.
This is in hopes of the lube wads doing no damage to nor fooling the chrono.
Such a setup is not possible at the public range.
Will have to SWAG a 10-yard correction to MV.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.