Originally Posted by Riflecrank
'Ernest Hemingway’s friend A.E. Hotchner once described a “yellowed four-by-five picture of Ernest,” shown him by Hemingway,
“aged five or six, holding a small rifle. Written on the back in his mother’s hand was the notation,
‘Ernest was taught to shoot by Pa when 2½ and when 4 could handle a pistol.’”
Firearms and shooting infused Hemingway’s existence and thus his writing ...'

[Linked Image]

Hemingway tops Sir Jerry for early age to start shooting.
Wasn't Hemingway's Pop a medical doctor ?
My how times have changed !
Good medicine and education back then is child abuse now.

Speaking of education, reminds me of higher math being practiced over at Sir Bob's latest blog:

https://bigborefan.wordpress.com/2021/09/11/a-reworked-te-formula/

Sir Bob:
If you multiply KEI by MF (your modified TKO containing M, V, and both CSA and sectional density {the M/CSA equivalent} as multipliers, instead of caliber alone),
your new TE ends up being momentum cubed with some manipulation by constants for manageable numerical value:

TE = (M^3)(V^3)/N

Sir Ron, I don't claim knowledge of advanced math - that's obvious! I graduated from highschool, grade 12, with top honors in my class, but only did a total of six math courses, including trig and physics at that level, and they were my best grades. The only math I've done since was related to optics for telescope making in changing a spherical mirror to a parabolical shape. And five years of post secondary never included one math or science course - to my regret. So you've got me on that one.

But I'm convinced that the TKO formula is flawed as it stands. The reasons are logical. For example: If a 400gr, .416 caliber bullet impacts an animal with the same momentum as a 400gr, .458 caliber, the TKO formula gives an advantage to the .458 caliber (We could specify the numbers but that doesn't make any difference in the outcome as to momentum. But SD does! The 400gr - .416" has an SD of .330 while the 400gr - .458" has an SD of .272. IF the bullets have the same structure and profile it's logical to assume that the .416" will penetrate deeper while the .458" will make a larger cavity. It appears that could be a "write off! No? BUT, if a 500gr - .458" is used producing identical momentum then that "wins" due to it SD of .341, PLUS its CSA of .165 sq in versus .136 sq in, by which the .458 should penetrate at least as deeply as the 400gr, .416". At least that's my logic, and I think from research it works something like that. The advantage the .458 has over the .416 is not only in CSA but SD and probably momentum, depending on the MV of each. And that's assuming equal structure (either soft or solid) and profile. But the exception is IF penetration is complete for each, then the .458 wins regardless of KE or momentum. In such cases CSA wins. Yeah, I know there are some "what ifs".

Is my logic wrong? But I defer to you in "advanced math"!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus