Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by MikeMcGuire

John,

Years after you bought it I had remorse over that 460. As you know not only was the accuracy unreal but to duplicate that wood today would be a special custom shop order. And of course what makes it completely unreplaceable is Roy not being with us anymore.

Mike any idea who got the first 460's in Australia, what company or individual got one in? Also were you corresponding with Roy yourself back in the day?

Karl

The agent was Michaelis Bayley and I think Mick Smith brought in some Weatherbys himself but not direct from Wby.. When I enquired it all seemed too hard for a 460 so I made my first international phone call and spoke to Roy. He was quite keen to talk to someone outside America. Anyway I ordered a pair and 120 cases for each and they had the 2.5X Wby Imperial scope in Redfield Swing Over mounts. The order still had to go through Michaelis Bayley but they were happy for me do the things. Roy was also big on it going through Michaelis Bayley and till this day that attitude makes Wby one of the most desired agencies for an importer to have as they will not send a rifle to anyone but their appointed agent.

Roy sent me a letter confirming the order. The Weatherby letterhead was unreal.

When the rifles arrived a shooter I knew took one look at the wood and decided to phone Roy and order a 224 and 7mm Wby. The 7mm Wby came and again top wood but the 224 had gone astray. After some investigation Roy apologised and not only sent another 224 (which was probably covered by insurance payment) but also sent to make up for the f uc k up one of the Mark XXII rimfires as gift.

In years gone by I had a lot to do with the Wby custom shop and I would have to rate them as about the best company I have dealt with and I don't just mean guns. However, if you do anything with them that is not available via the website it costs a lot.

I am fairly sure other 460s had come in. A bloke I knew had bought a German 460 and from memory it was a 1968 gun. But there are plenty of 460s and 378s in Australia now but very few 416s. I suspect the 416 lacks the big velocity of the 378 and the 460 power and also bullets for just mucking about is far better with 375 and 458.

The 460 John got off me I had kept in storage since 1971 and got it out about 1990. The other 450 was shot from day and had the [bleep] shot out of it.