Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Shooting at 50 yards because:

1. It is the only spot at local public range where terrain allows my chrono to be set up high enough on tripod to allow readings at 5 yards and be able to shoot into a target.
Only other option there is to go down to 600-yard bench where the ground is flat, without a significant drop-off in front of the bench.
I have two functional optical chronos (Caldwell G2 and Oehler 35P) and will not pay for a Lab Radar until I shoot those opticals into nonfunctionality.
I have killed two chronos in the past with shotgun wads.
Waiting to kill two more.
With Lab Radar I could shoot from any bench.

2. At 50 yards the big bore rifle goal is to get three bullets into the same hole.
50 yards is the critical spot-on range for a big bore DGR for offense or defense.
Screw the 5-shot groups for group size with the big bores whether at 50 yards or 100 yards.
5 shots takes too prolonged a concentration on shooting technique to be as much fun as 3 shots.
5 shots per load is done only in looking for the magical standard deviation of less than 5 fps for those 5 shots.
Depending on the rifle's accuracy node, that could have decent accuracy potential and functional load potential.

3. Yes wind drift at 50 yards might only be 2" on a bad day, but it would be closer to 4" at 100 yards.
Horizontal stringing including lulls and gusts could be whatever the stated drift is plus any shooter error plus any rifle&ammo error.
More frustrating at longer ranges: Was it me or was it the wind ?

My latest chronographing was good enough to prove a load of 81 grains AA-2230 with my hardcast, PC-painted, gas-checked bullets.
Accuracy potential is there.
When I go back to shoot a final zero in comparison to Shock Hammers,
I now know the loads with those bullets and the Shock Hammer are interchangeable.
And I will do it on a calm day !

I do have 1:18" and 1:20" twist rifles chambered for .45-2.6" StarLine brass fired in chambers with .458 WinMag throating.
They are only 2 grains of water bigger than the .458 WinMag
Dave Manson reamer will so alter any .45-70 Govt. chamber. Identical to .45-70 Elko Magnum of CIP homologation.
Slower twist might be better for cast, but the 1:14" .458 WinMag twist is doing well enough, even at +2500 fps with 400-ish-grainer.
Probably could kill a deer with that .458 WinMag and the Hi-Vel Hardcast,
might work for woodchucks too.
For sure a good practice load to save on Shock Hammers.

Thanks for answering my question regarding range shot. That makes sense, especially if using and setting up an old chrono. However, yours is a lot newer and easier to set up than the one I use. I don't shoot the big 458, that may change, but I'd probably just shoot 3 shots per group and call it good, but 50 yards and 5 shots makes sense. Especially in the wind. I don't use a chrono much because mine is old and a PITA to set up, like it sounds like yours is. Mine may be older though, and it only gives me velocity readings. I have to shoot through a stupid window in cardboard inserts that go into the chrono.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Maybe using a chrono is more important with those cast bullets, but I rarely need to use one with jacketed bullets in my hunting rifles. Groups tell me what I need to know. If I need to know velocity for dope and data, so be it. I'll pull the PITA chrono out and get some numbers. Velocity numbers, I could care the fu ck less about sd/es, as the group will tell me if those numbers are good. Just how it is.. Been tested and verified.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA