bcelliott,

That is a very good question.
I prefer the 450-gr and 500-gr monometals at higher velocities than with the 550-grain cup&core,
Some will swear by their 550-grain cup&core-bonded Woodleigh at 2100 fps from the SAAMI .458 WM.
I bet they are not just being profane.
As long as the bullet is not a monometal copper or brass bullet exceeding 1.6" in length, no worries, just my SWAG.
The overwhelming consensus is that the 500-grain solid of any type at 2100 fps is optimum for elephant pass throughs at 25 to 50-yard range.
Inside of 25 yards they might penetrate less, especially noted in the days of the RNFMJ solids.
Something about a bullet getting better stabilized 25 yards down range, and lesser velocity means less tissue resistance.
Maybe the FN solid overcomes some of this close-range instability, and might be better at higher velocity than the old RN.

With the RNSN at 2100 fps, a 550-grainer has more momentum and KE and will drive expansion better at same velocity as the 500-grainer.

Yet Richard Harland reported great things with 450-gr solids at 2300 fps for elephant hunting with the SAAMI .458 WM

Finn Aagaard reported the first generation X-Bullet of 400-gr weight and no more than 2300 fps from the SAAMI .458 WM
was more devastating in wound channel volume and penetration depth
than any other 500-gr soft he tested in his artificial media,
and Phil Shoemaker verified it on big brown bear and such live game.

Bill Bagwell reported that the cast FN .458"/ 480-gr at just under 1300 fps would pass through game routinely,
bison at 75 yards, through both shoulders,
and deer-sized game at 300-yards.
The slow bullet generates less tissue resistance, and at such velocities the cast lead does not over-expand, penetrates deep.

It is not a stretch to think that a 450-grain FN monometal solid at around 2300 fps
would be ideal for either elephant or blue whale with a SAAMI .458 WM+.
The 500-gr TBSS with bronze FN and bonded lead core (1.400" bullet length for 500-gr weight)
at 2300 fps might be the best of all possible worlds,
in a magic wand like a .458 WM+, at lower pressure than can be done with a .458 Lott.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.