Originally Posted by CZ550

I once shot a good bear frontally (actually I shot three in a row that way over three seasons) using a hardcast 465gr at 70 yards. That bullet has the exact diameter meplat as the 480 DGX. It left the muzzle of a single-shot NEF .45-70 at 1900 fps and that bear dropped so fast in tall grass that I lost sight of it when the rifle came out of recoil. The heart was jello and the bullet never found, nor any piece thereof. I'd consider the 480 DGX more of the same. It would never need 2350 fps for anything, except possibly for range purposes -- at least not anything soft skinned this side of 200 yards.
Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Good to hear you are on the mend, Sir Bob.
Your experience proves the teaching of Saint Bagwell that softcast lead .458"/ 480-grain FN at 1300 fps MV with a BPCR will deliver the mail.
Either 66 grains of FFFg GOEX in a .45-70 or, for the smokeless crowd, just 38.5 grains of IMR-3031. He recommended both loads.
480-grainer of harder alloy at faster velocity, within reason: What is not to like ?
That 480-grain DGX will work in either no-throat .45-70 lever action or .458 Winchester Magnum.
Perfect for all single shots at whatever COL you like.
Do your part and one shot is all you will need anyway.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.