Well I did have a plan. Passed on this deer first day at 15 yards with his chest and throat in the scope of my 260. We are having some warm weather and it just didn’t feel right to pull the trigger. Second day the Whitworth begged and I listened. Was back in the same general spot but this deer having been fooled day one, was I think looking for me before he approach his bedding area. So he was clearing his approach angles with his nose. I was sitting in that hole looking down on the creek East trying to intercept him earlier in his route. He was circling around in the tall grass prairie and walked right up behind me, putting his feet at my head level. When my scent hit his nose he blew, whirled and ran west. I counted 3 and stood and turned centered him n the scope. Because he really had not seen me, just full load smelled me, when he turned south towards the bedding are he stopped and looked towards where he had located me. Since the old 458wm was hungry and the night would be cold enough to hang, I fed her by pressing the trigger. Thump, he took two jumps then hit the top wire on his third jump and I saw him for a few more jumps before the topography obscured him. I thought I heard him fall but my ears are not what hey used to be. Gathered my gear and headed to where he jumped the fence. He blew blood heavily when he jumped and down slope 30-40 yards more he was piled up.
Coming back with my Jet sled to drag him out with, I came across a gut shot die that some other hunters had wounded the night before. The landowner had told me the story that morning so i knew immediately what was up when the poor thing tried to take a step. She was about 175 yards away and I did what needed done and let the landowner know where the hunters could find her. I shot her deliberately high shoulder and she was drt.
I aggravated an old groin / leg adductor injury with the pressure of the pulling rope which I foolishly had put at waist level and am laid up on ice and ibuprofen. Lots of memories and good stories but age and scar tissue wins in the end it seems.
Best regards,

Last edited by Fury01; 12/04/21.