On page 266 of his memoir, Col. Askins wrote this, about his return from his 1958 Kenya Safari:

"Once returned to New York I went directly to the Winchester office which in those days was in New York City. It has long since been closed out but it was thriving in those days.

"The company had their design engineers on hand. These were the buckos who had designed both the .458 and .338. I gave them a careful report on the performance of both cartridges. Both of course had performed brilliantly. Especially the .338 with which, quite naturally, I had shot a great deal of my game. The .458 I had reserved for the elephant, the rhino and two buffalo. I was enthusiastic about the loading. Most especially the .338.

"The design people listened eagerly and then one of them said, 'I think we'd better take the belt off the .338. I don't believe the shooters are going to go for that.'

"I vehemently defended the belt. 'Look, man,' I told this longhair, 'that belt has always been accepted as an indication of more power. A sort of super cartridge, a round with more oomph, more thump. Leave that belt alone. This round needs to be set apart as something very special.' I thought it was significant when the .338 was finally sprung on an all unsuspecting shooting public the belt was still there."

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.