Originally Posted by jwp475
Bob an adult Alaskan Yukon bull moose can weigh clos to a ton

Most resident moose hunters here are not trophy hunters -- and there are a lot of us! There are tags for calf, cows and bulls. For a 1400 lb bull to be actually harvested would be a very rare occurrence! I suspect the same would be true for resident Alaskans. While there might be a few 1800 lb class adult bulls, Alaskan residents are mostly meat hunters so will take what's available for the table, a calf, cow or 1100 lb bull.

Trophy hunting is entirely another matter. If someone out of state has hired an outfitter and paid, what? $10,000 for a "trophy" bull, then likely he/she will want the biggest possible within the limited time frame. In such a case he/she will not be toting a .30-06 - at least I wouldn't, unless the outfitter lucked out and had one tied to a tree not more than 50 yards away! If a trophy hunter is very selective in wanting the "best" bull possible, it could mean a shot at +350 yards, and not at a perfect angle. In such a scenario, I'd want at least a .338 magnum, and my 9.3 x 62 might even be better.

Of course, you know all that stuff, but I just thought I should explain where I'm coming from. That is, I think Sir Ron should multiply by 2500 rather than 1000 to give due credit to a standard .30-06 well loaded.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus