Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by smallfry
He done leaked out fast.

Yes, bled promptly, the meat was tasty for a mature buck in the rut.
I saute'ed some diced tenderloin with onions and mushrooms for my supper tonight.
It was to die for, said the buck.

smallfry, you have shown excellent judgement on the .450 Rigby thread.
It deserves recognition by membership in the Knights of the .458 Winchester Magnum Brotherhood.
Choose your sir name please.

That thread does have some interesting material that could be quoted here,
to harken back to the days when the .458 WinMag needed defending.
Much has been debunked since then.

Recognizing the greatness of the .458 WinMag does not have to be a chilling effect on commerce.
Sure, it may sometimes stifle the sale of a lesser known .458-caliber rifle and ammunition,
but it also spurs the proliferation of rifles for the .458 WinMag and its ammunition and components.
And one can still own and play with all the others too.
Have your cake and eat it too.
I like your idea of turning an FN/SC/Portugal M70 .338 WinMag into a .458 WinMag.
Now that I have realized it only takes an unblocking of the rear of the magazine and a shortening of the bolt-stop-ejector,
I will do that too, soon as the GUNSMITH gets caught up on his backlog, for I have a .500 Jeffery languishing there at the
GUNSHOP & SPA FOR WAYWARD RIFLES.
That one is just for fun, not a serious rifle like any .458 WinMag is.
I need the GUNSMITH to re-barrel the M70 .338 to .458 WinMag.
I can do the magazine unblocking and bolt-stop-ejector shortening myself if need be.
Even a late model .30-06 M70 can be used by adding on the bolt face enlargement by GUNSMITH.
No milling of action bridge needed for up to 3.6" COL.

Sir Ron, thank you. I’ve always had a soft spot for the 458 Win mag, it was my second centerfire rifle cartridge when I was a kid. I had a pushfeed M70 and used it on everything when I lived in AK. I would like to build another and having no real love for the 338 I figured it would make a good donor. I will just have to decide on a finished diameter for my contour and sights.
Sir smallfry