Sir Ron;

I'll be sticking with the known load for the 405gr Rem during bear season, or as much of it as possible as I expect to be in New Brunswick sometime in October.

Also, I'll be trying the same load for the 400gr Hawk and 400gr Barnes Buster to see how that goes. Another trial, without re-sighting anything, will be 75 grs RL-17 for the 405 Rem. I'm expecting about 1800 fps but want to find out how accurate that load might be.

I also think the Buster might be a good choice for particular applications if accuracy fulfils desires. In a media test around 2250 it went straight through everything and was lost. That from my former 45-70 LT. The 500gr Speer GS was defeated at 6" penetration, retaining 310grs ! MV was 1750 fps. Range for all bullets was 5 yards to media. Both 350gr TSX's penetrated completely - one was "lost" (until found about a year later - the point was damaged and it had tumbled by hitting the edge of a wooden plank) the other was retrieved just inside the last panel of the second box, fully "mushroomed" and retained 350 grs. MV was 2470 fps.

Eight bullets were fired and the only two that was the same were the 350 TSX's. Most were reduced loads to simulate hitting large game in the shoulders at around 100 yards.

The theoretical advantage of the Buster is that big wide flat meplat (BWFM), when/if it impacts the shoulders of a bull elk, moose, bear or hog at 1400 to 2200 fps it should be devastation - IF the accuracy is what's wanted/needed...
... similar to a North Fork FN solid, I'd think. I've a pic of a 300gr NF FN solid from a 300 H&H retrieved from an ele by a friend.

Your thoughts?

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus