Thank you, Sir Ron, for the great amount of info.

I received a box of the Hornady 250 grain SP from Midway a couple of days ago and picked up the last box of Hornady 325 grain FTX at the local Academy Sports today. I plan to test a number of these powders with these bullets. I also have a fair number of Berry’s plated 350 grain 0.458” SOCOM bullets IIRC which I use for practice loads in the 458 WM and will also try for the same purpose in the 45-70.

I’ll plan to use the COAL Hornady case gauge so I can measure throat with the different bullets. If the throat is short lengthening it should be fairly straightforward.

Last decision about the rifle is which scope to mount. Thinking about a Leupold 4x sitting on the bench currently. Should be just about right for the ranges involved and will add a bit of weight to the old #3, something it definitely can use.

I had planned to convert this #3 to a #1 as I have the pieces needed for that and an almost finished stock I’ve been working on for the 500 NE 3” #1. I just might swap it and not have to worry about the lever and the light weight of the carbine.

We’ll see how ambitious the project becomes.

Great info from the Knights and the Square Table King!!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now