Dang, the weeds are sprouting here in Kentucky too !

Originally Posted by gunner500

... also happen to have a wonderful Paul Jones mould, it throws a 570gr AA Smerker grease groove bullet of 570 grains with 20/1 alloy, it the most accurate bullet i've ever fired from my 18 twist Shiloh 45-70, i should cast you some up, lubra-size em to 458" with Bills Black Majik lube and send em on up.

Buy a donkey for the offer, Sir Jerry, but I have the grooved bullets covered with 543-gr (Red Death) and 579-gr (Big Blue) FNGC hardcast, PC-painted, and sized to 0.461".

What would be interesting is to see you do some of your 570-gr paper-patched with BP in a .458 WM+.

I have a 530-gr slick to try with 20/1 alloy with paper patch, 5 grains of IMR-SR4759 and 85 grains of GOEX FFg, F215 or WLRM primer, one thin cardboard wad, and Rooster Lube on the patch.
About like .45-100-530 Sharps 2.6"
or a .461 Gibbs No. 1 or 2 Military Match load.
Selous did most of his Selousing with a 540-gr PP bullet and 75 to 90 gr of Curtis & Harvey.
Probably be able to shoot mine for 50 shots without wiping, eh ?

I did a test casting from my mould with gunshow-purchased "wheel weight" ingots.
The mould is the Accurate Molds 44-530P, supposed to be 530-gr in wheel weights.
I got a diameter 0.443" and a weight of 530.9 grains. BOL 1.373".
It will be interesting to see what they weigh in 20/1 alloy, probably really close to the WW in BHN, diameter, and weight.
Paper patching: 0.443" + 0.008" = 0.451" diameter in soft alloy.
Fingers crossed, that might work with a .458 WM with bore diameter of 0.450", but with the long throat, seated far out and plenty of room for the BP,
recalling that a BP load in the .45-70 Govt. is compressed close to a half-inch in a Saint Bagwell load with a 480-gr PH.
IIRC, the old .461 Gibbs No. 1 & No. 2 loads were not much if any compressed because the old thin brass necks buckled so easily.
The Gibbs shot very well without heavy compression.

"A good Bowie knife will get the job done when big cuts are in order -- and it will make the little cuts too.
I know, because I skinned a mouse with mine once just to see if I could.
The knife worked just fine."

The wisdom and skill of Bill Bagwell

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.