Adding 43 fps for the extra 2" of barrel with H4198 and the Monoflex, beretzs is knocking on the door of 3000 fps with 79.0 grains in a 24" barrel.

Getting myself motivated too.
It would really be nice to hunt deer with that little rubbery-tipped monometal .458 bullet.
It will work in a tubular magazine too, for a .45-70 Gov't. lever action, loaded short on that first factory cannelure.
In bear country keep some heavier-duty rounds in the magazine too for close-range use.
Bob's latest blog, "BEAR Defense Weapons -- P1" has got me thinking on that.
My comment there to him:

Bob has mentioned the 480-gr DGX "dual use" slugs before.
They were designed to work in the no-throat .450 Nitro Express, only .450" diameter forward of their cannelure, .458" diameter below the cannelure.
That makes them ideal in a .45-70 Gov't. standard chamber too.
I hope he mentions them again in "BEAR Defense Weapons -- P2."

The hunter in bear country could do a lot worse than a .458-caliber, 480-grain Hornady DGX.
Whether in a no-throat .45-70Gov't. , crimped on the factory cannelure and run through a Winchester 1886 short rifle, lever action,
or loaded a little longer than SAAMI in a .458 Winchester Magnum.
1300 fps rapid fire in the former, or 2300 fps in the latter.
The former would work like solids for deep penetration with a bloody big hole.
The latter would make bloodier big holes almost as deep.
That "FN soft" bullet might actually expand if going 1000 fps faster.

The next time I hunt Kodiak Island I will be packing a .458 WM bolt action on the hillsides,
and sleeping with it AND a shorter .45-70 Gov't. which will be handier in the tent,
especially on moonless nights when a big bear comes to press his nose against my tent.
Last time that happened to me I had to start shooting inside the tent with a 26"-barreled
.340 Wby Fibermark. It was a bit awkward.

Fatal black bear attacks in Colorado lately: https://cpw.state.co.us/aboutus/Pages/News-Release-Details.aspx?NewsID=7777

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.