Originally Posted by gunner500
LOL, Nice Sir Ron, as the river reeds gave way to the wind last Oct 9th in the Mbarangandu Game Reserve, Tanzania i let loose a 750gr TSX at a sight regulating 2076 fps into an old river Dagga Boy at 16 yards from a 577 double, i saw and heard the pain that buzzsaw caused the old beast as it entered his left last rib at a hard quarter away, he hit the sand and began his death bellow before i could get the sight back on him quickly moving to my left for a solid through both shoulders.

I have no doubt the 450gr TSX at 2450 fps would produce the same from the Great 458 Win Mag+............with the added bonus of three rounds held quickly in reserve. smile

No doubt. Perfect.
Be careful with those 500-gr TBSS at 2350 fps if herd shooting and you do not want to pay for two with only one shot.
I once bagged a cape buffalo using a .500 Mbogo.
One shot killed it at about 75 yards, broke the onside left humerus (stoutest bone in the buffalo) and passed through the heart, did not exit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The second shot at a bull on that hunt in Tanzania was on a hairbrained command from the PH for me to shoot a bull when he ran through an opening 150 yards away,

[Linked Image]

while I was perched on the side of a termite mound with wobbly-twig shooting sticks that collapsed as I shot.
Thus I was caught off balance twice in that incident.
First for undertaking it at all.
One drop of blood was found, believed to have come from a buttock graze wound on the bull.

[Linked Image]

I felt bad then, but hey, it saved me another +$5000 taxidermy charge and someone else was picking up the tab for the B-Team PH and trophy fees.
Sometimes it would be better to ignore a suggestion from a PH, especially if you are paying him.

My first cape buffalo in Botswana also bucked like a rodeo bull when hit through the heart and the onside, left humerus at 50 yards with a .416 Rigby.
He launched straight up on three unbroken legs also.

[Linked Image]

A termite mound in Botswana, where no shooting sticks were set upon the slope:

[Linked Image]

That was a 380-gr GSC FN solid at 2506 fps MV that exited and probably passed through several leadwood tree trunks after that.
The Tanzanian bull was taken with a .510-cal., 450-gr GSC HV (soft) throttled back to 2650 fps MV instead of +2800 fps,
because it shot 0.75 MOA at the slower velocity instead of 1.5 MOA at top end.
Thus, not entirely because I am a recoil wimp.

The .458-caliber 450-grain TSX at 2450 fps would be the best insurance policy,
6,000 ft-lbs is plenty !
Most likely to kill one bull with one shot and not wound any other fauna and flora.
And such a trim and handy package is a .458 Winchester Magnum M70 !

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.