As a dyed in the wool fan of the 404s, it is difficult for me to assert that there is a better ALTERNATIVE DGR caliber. However, after working fairly extensively now with the 458 WM (both standard and +) I will give the 'devil' his due and recognize both the versatility of the 458 WM(+) and the apparently greater effect of the larger diameter bullet, exerting higher KE/power based on a balance of velocity and projectile mass.

Undoubtedly the 404s I've routinely used (404/375 Ruger, 404 Jeffery) are powerful DGR cartridges and MAY confer a bit greater range vs the 450-500 grain 0.458" bullets I use in my 45 DGRs (458 WM & +, 460 G&A, 450 Rigby Rimless), but bullet weight selection in the 45s and greater close-in power rebalance the scales.

I am happy with both the 45 and 404 DGRs. I use a couple of 416s (Rem Mag & Rigby) but not sufficiently to comment on their efficacy. It would seem that functional differences between the 416s and 404s would be more a matter of preference than actual objective reasoning. YMMV

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now