Hunting alone I have left the sled in the truck and I have staged it at the morning sit spot. I sit on the ground, never in a tree. I understand the value of a tree stand, just not my thing. I have shot a lot of deer and elk off the canyon rims of my home state of CO so I understand the value of elevation but just don't like tree sitting. I hunt in heavy cover and open prairie. With the 458wm and Cast bullets, there are some shots I would pass up that I would make with my '06 or 260 Remington but I carry the 458WM on it's full share of days. Last year it only needed one day to fill my buck tag so... can't complain about that. I also shoot sitting over sticks a lot and with that setup, I have no problem with a 250 yard shot with the Whitworth. 250 yards covers a lot of deer killing country. My dad killed a lot of deer with Iron sighted 30-30 and 32 Win Specials so I have that plus a scope to work with. Not a problem in my book.
I really need to use my old man's rifle, the 260 Remington more but the 458WM weeps in the closet if I don't take her out. I have near a 1000 cast bullets to use up so I'll just keep proving the 458WM can do it all. Don't really care if anyone other than the Round/Square table agrees with me or not. I'm happy. She's happy.
Good hunting to you sir,
F01