Originally Posted by North61
Thanks to this thread I have been inspired to get a 458 Win Safari Model 70 and it's been so much fun! It's a 1MOA shooter with TSX bullets, both 300 grainers at 2667 and H4198 and 350 grainers at 2480 and H322. It's also MOA with 400 grain A-Frames at 2400+ and H322. Way more fun to shoot than the 500 grain factory and they penetrate like crazy! What a great fire-arm and cartridge combo but I am only getting 2 MOA with the 400 Branes Original Spitzers and though they mangle up on close range hits they do expand past 200 yards. Pretty versatile rig and one of my most fun firearms. Thanks folks!

Agreed on the quality of information on this thread and documented research and exploration. Riflecrank rejuvenated my interest in the 458 Winchester sometime ago. I thank him profusely for championing & getting the 404 Hammer into production. The 400 grainers has been where my interest was in the 458's. After Barnes dropped their 400 grain offering, must interest waned. Occasionally perked up by the Federal factory loaded 400 grain Trophy Bonded. But it lacked a bit of speed and bc for my full buy in. The 404 Hammer bullet offers both.
Now much to Sir Ron's distaste for the SAMMI Lott. I am going to attempt to settle on a load for it and the 404 prior to the 458 Winchester. Mainly because I have a rifle in the Lott that I am really try to like a lot.
In hind sight, I should have skipped the Lott and put together a stainless 458 Winchester as I was originally going to do. Actually that is still on the agenda.
After this Lott load is done. It will be time for the 458 Winchester. That should be simple & easy enough since the guys on here have already invented the wheel. And have it rolling along exceptionally well.
This research definitely has me wanting for a stainless 458 Winchester on a 3.6" action. I think, I have the solution for that.