Originally Posted by CZ550
Some great results there, Sir Larry!

Now I've a question for Sir Ron: From a longtime correspondent who wanted my opinion on how far he might go in using AA2230 behind a molly-coated 405gr in his Encore Prohunter in .45-90. COL is 3.30" and the chamber allows up to 3.55". So far he's gone to 70 grains without issues. He didn't give MV. I told him I'd ask the expert on the Campfire, as I've no experience with such a bullet.

So if you care to respond, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca (current blog involves Winchester's original series of their first four magnums - beginning, of course, with the father of them all)

Sir Bob,
Looking forward to that latest blog.
Regarding the .45-90 TC Encore with 14" barrel and a muzzle brake,
if he is doing well with 70 grains of AA-2230 at 3.30" COL,
and could actually seat it out another 0.25" with that unspecified 405-gr with moly coating,
he must have a bit of throat, more than usual on a .45-90 ?

That is a 2.4" case length and he would be hanging 1.15" of bullet length in front of the case mouth.
That does not make sense with the usual cup & core 405-grainer being only about 1 inch long.
I would tend to tell him to not go any higher in charge.
Leave well enough alone.

Like you, I would want to know more specifics on the bullet and what velocity he is getting.
Moly won't do much.
Maybe his break-open action will handle about 50,000 psi with the .45-90, and he might be there with his 70 grains.
Is his brass good stuff like Starline ?
We are just whistling past the unknowns here.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.