I acquired my M70 Super Grade ( 22 inch barrel ) after it being offered to me from a friend . All I had to do was buy $500 of factory ammunition and the rifle came with it . However , It did need to be re-blued so I had that done after glass bead blasting it to a nice matte finish . The original finish was that high luster blue on all of the metal except the matte frame . I guess that was the style back then and looked ridiculous . It all matches now and is the apple of my eye .

I have used it to hunt whitetail using 66.0 grains of IMR 3031 and the Sierra 300 soft point @ 2200 fps with absolute excellent results . That bullet between 2000 – 2200 fps duplicates my Savage smokeless muzzleloader and sort of duplicates the heft of the arm also …

I have been wanting to try the Hornady 325 grain 458 FTX ( rated for 1600 – 2400 fps ) and the Hornady 250 grain 458 Mono-Flex bullet ( rated for 1100 – 2200 fps ) on targets and whitetail .

You can use a 458 WM for other things besides extremely large and dangerous game . Just match the bullet and velocity for the intended purpose . I have several thousand bullets for my 14 inch TC Contender in 45/70 , and so it just made sense to buy this rifle .

It is a tack driver as much as a 45 WM can be .