IMHO the most significant factors in deciding which red/green dot optic to select and how to mount it are the intended use of the rifle and the recoil level.

Though it’s a bit more expensive and larger/heavier than the micro optics I opted for the Holosun 530G because I use my DGR in the field where dirt, brush, etc are always an issue for the sights. it’s a closed emitter system so stuff between the projector and screen will not put it out of commission. The titanium body, electronic components and mechanicals seem to hold up well to physical forces and battery life and replacement are very favorable.

If the rifle were predominantly intended for the shooting range I would have probably gone with a light, open emitter model and the mounting problem would have been much simpler.

The most significant hurdle for me to overcome was the decision to mount any optics on a close quarters DGR. Scopes - even low power non magnifiers - constrict FOV in the periphery, especially the strong side - and can pose a real problem with target fixation, even shooting with both eyes open. The non-magnifyiging digital projectors reduce the problem significantly but don’t eliminate it completely.

My preference for large caliber DGRs is still iron open sights. However, as my PH observed, I grew up, like most modern American hunters, shooting with a scope and since we all revert to our training, an optic seems worth considering. YMMV

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 07/03/23. Reason: Correction

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now