Sir Ron, thanks for the nudge!

Yes, recently I went on record as suggesting the three manufactured bullets I'd have on my bullet shelves if limited to that. And the 480gr DGX (Dangerous Game Expanding) from Hornady would be the heavy. It shoots well from my current Ruger No.1 in .458 at 2353 fps (5900 ft-lbs) using 82 grains of H4895, WLRM primers, Rem brass, and 3.585" COL (corrected to MV). Temp @ 21C/70F.

From my former Ruger No.1 in .45-70 LT it completely penetrated the test media at 15', hitting a ledge behind and leaving a .458" imprint. The bullet was never found. MV was a reduced load at 1780 fps to simulate impact speed at about 1700 fps on a tough animal. If fired from the LT at about 2200 fps, that would be a range to animal of approximately 175 yards. With its flat tip, I've no doubt as to its devastating ability on anything. Those results compared to a 500gr GS puts it in very good light compared to the 500gr Speer which was leaving the muzzle at 1750 fps, and penetrated 6.5" while retaining only 62% of its weight at 310 grains. The 480 DGX had penetrated 15" when it made exit from the second box and hit the ledge about 6" behind it.

On black bear from my Ruger .458 Win, I'd probably slow it to about 2100 fps over approximately 72 -73 grains of H4895. That would still give a useful range to 150 - 160 yards. I've not yet run those numbers in a ballistics program, but will do that and get back here, but I think they're close enough. It would be rare in my experience to shoot a bear at over 100 yards, but that always a possibility.

I'm looking forward to getting out for some scouting, and the .458 will get it's share of that as soon as I regain strength in my arms, wrists and hands from the debilitating effects of arthritis. While activity is the best medicine, I've been given a prescription of little white pills that will kick in slowly, I'm told.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus