From Swamplord:

Originally Posted by Swamplord
The best possible solution is the Peterson belted magnum basic brass

Trim to length then run through a full length 458 Win Mag die = the best brass you will ever get for the 458 Win Mag

50 pcs of Peterson brass will outlast 1000 pcs of Hornady crap

Peterson belted mag brass

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

He has an unfoundedly poor opinion of Hornady .458 WM brass IMHO.
I hope he knows more about Peterson brass than he knows about Hornady brass, to wit: I am ordering some Peterson basic cylindrical.
I also responded to the Hornady insult with this:

Hornady factory "Heavy Magnum" loads were loaded to SAAMI standards with their 500-grainers at 2260 fps (24" barrel) way back in 2006.
They may have been using W-W brass when they first started loading the .458 WM,
but they have had plenty of time to perfect their .458 WM brass.
Current factory loads by Hornady are an honest 2140 fps with 500-grainers from a 24" barrel, with flawless Hornady brass performance.
Unfortunately the bullets used for those old "Heavy Magnum" loads were "crap."
Bless their hearts, Hornady finally learned to make decent bullets with their DGX-Bonded and DGS.
Their older SN bullets came apart badly at high velocity, and any RN FMJ is not optimal.
I think the Lottite movement just could not tolerate top .458 WinMag performance.
Lottites are known for sensitive egos and shoulders.
(Hornady .458 WM loads doing only 40 fps less than the exalted .458 Lott
and doing it at shorter COL and 2,500 psi less pressure was more than the Lottites could tolerate, especially Ross Seyfried,
bless his heart too.)

Cutting the Peterson down to 2.5" will be interesting to compare to the Hornady, Winchester, Remington, and Norma.
Oh, yeah, I never did check the Federal case capacity, but have a small bit of that from Federal factory loads, plain and nickel-plated.
Never did find any Federal .458 WM component brass for sale.
Then I have some old Norma and Hornady basic cylindrical, Hornady .458 Lott, Remington .416 RM, etc.
The possibilities are more than I can shake a stick at.
Case capacity comparisons to come.
I'll surely be quick to buy more Hornady .458 WM brass whenever they do another run.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.