Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by CZ550
If I could have 3 of the 5, it would be the top three: They are all practical and spaced well. The .470 is a talk-about rifle that has little support and could do nothing that the .458 couldn't do. And the .416 is between the .375 and .458 in never never land that's inferior to the .458. Anything less than what the .458 needs doing can be amply handled by the .375 of .338. YMMV.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Sir Bob,
Get that .375 H&H slick so you can work the longer bolt throw fast as you work your 9.3x62mm.

Sir Ron, thanks for the encouragement. Actually, I am working on that. The challenges are several: It's a LH bolt-action which should be normal since I shoot from that side, but I've used RH bolts most of my life and I only tried to switch by trading three in RH for two in LH. They were Browning A-Bolts SS with 26" barrels in .375 H&H and .300 Win Mag. The .300 worked out great but, as I've written on several occasions, the .375 had a serious flaw - the bore was off-center. It went back to the dealer for a copy in .338 Win Mag that became my .340 Wby, which I kept for ten years and put 1000 handloads through it. The .300 had previously been sold. Their actions were very smooth and bolt lift was only 60*.

The .375 H&H M70 Zastava had a rather rough LH action with a 90* bolt lift. But I'm getting used to it and rather like it now - but it's still getting worked over. No hang-ups or resistance in chambering. And extraction is excellent. I do believe the slopping cartridge has merit in those tasks.

Edit: It will go as my back up to the .458 in the Spring Bear hunt.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 02/18/24.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus