TSIBINDI,

Buy a donkey for this:

Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
...Just to remind folks what the .458WM was originally designed to accomplish, I've taken the liberty to add to this conversation, albeit perhaps mundane to some.

To clarify, I am a firm believer in "heavy for caliber" bullets in all my rifles. I have no doubt there are bullets of many different shapes, weights, velocity, which achieve the same result. No disrespect to those shooters who are not of my ilk.

I was rootn' around in my ammo stash, and lo and behold, there were some of my old hand loads for my .458WM. I had not shot my rifle since my last journey to Zim (2017) so I thought...why not shoot this thing?

I filled four one gallon water jugs and placed them in a cardboard box, side by side. Between each jug,I placed a double layer of cardboard. Twelve total pieces of cardboard which includes the box itself. On a stump, I placed an old plastic Lucerne milk carton, and on top of the milk carton, I placed cardboard box with the water jugs. This put the "target" at about eye level. I fetched my trusty Winchester Model 70 .458WM, marched twenty yards, took a deep breath, exhaled slowly and let loose a 500gr Speer African Grand Slam.

Obviously the results were predictable, complete penetration, and a giant water spray. What was a bit of a surprise, the Lucerne milk box had a huge chunk missing from where the cardboard water jug box was sitting. There were pieces of plastic strewn outwards twenty feet beyond the stump. The AGS continued on its merry way into the brush beyond.

Of course this was an exercise in futility in some ways, because I knew from past experience shooting elephant how the AGS performed. The average distance shooting eles was roughly twenty yards, and side brain shots were pass throughs.

The AGS being a bit shorter than most FMJ bullets, I could load more powder with little, or no compressed loads to achieve velocities in excess 2200fps (without any deleterious problems) I decided increased velocity in MY rifle was not a distinct advantage and settled on 2185fps. Worked for me!

As an aside: To the late John Buhmiller, and the Winchester folks who designed the .458WM, you done good.

Now you guys can continue with your serious stuff.

You have attained a seat at the Square Table.
What is your preferred Sir Name for Knighthood ?
BTW, I like all .458-caliber bullets from 250-grains to 600-grains,
but I am working a 400-grainer schtick right now.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.