Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by gunner500
Sir Ron, great info, i would have thought it impossible to over pressure anything 458 Win Mag+ with H-4895, we see 700+ grains of bullet will get it done, have to wonder if that scud missile would remain stable in animal tissue and penetrate straight, if it does, 1550 fps would be mucho plenty.

Ditto on the Ranger Rick. I doubt I will be trying them unless I get really big bored.

You're most welcome for the bullets and playing card wads, i'm no 'wad stack' guru/experimenter, to me a wad need to protect the base of the bullet and keep lubes from contaminating the powder charge, these coated playing card wads to that with aplomb, plus, at only 10 thou each, they don't waste a chit-ton of powder capacity in starved cases such as the 45 and 50-70 govt.

I have 48 pieces of once-fired Norma .458 WM brass that will hold plenty of BP. I am just wondering if I should use a grease cooky with either of those bullets, or is just one of those poker card wads enough ?
I have a wad punch and I have a deck of cards. Never thought of that excellent way to make wads. Buy a donkey for that trick.

Slightly off topic, but just yesterday i was able to easily compress 70gr drop-tubed OE 3F with a playing card wad .650 thou in a new full length sized Starline 50-70 case, the 530gr grease groove bullet measures 1.128 long, closed the case mouth to .520 thou with a taper crimp die, if i'm able to get an accurate 1200 fps, the stubby 50 will be the little hammer that can, the 30 twist barrel will easily stabilize a 1.128 bullet.

Let us know how it shakes out. I am a fan of the .50-70 Govt., BP in the antiques and replicas, and smokeless in one custom Rolling Block with .510" groove and 1-24" twist.
I use H322 to get a 650-grain Hoch up to just over 1300 fps with that one, barely fast enough to stabilize in my twist.

Sorry for the ramble, just having fun.

Plus, You may be the man with 1000 bullet moulds, that said, if either bullet i sent you shoots extremely well, say the word and i'll ship the moulds to you for casting as many as you please.

Way exaggerated mould count, but I wish.
Still waiting for the Accurate Molds .460"/ 485-grainer mould.
I ain't too proud to beg.

Nice, with grease groove, i'd only add an over the powder wad, the grease cookie will sit/work just fine with a flat based cast bullet sitting on top, it's how i load my 45 3-1/4 with the 500gr gov bullet, easy 100gr OE 2F, card wad, grease cookie of around 190 thou, seat bullet, taper crimp, and let fly to 1488 fps, have ran em to 1650 fps, not necessary.

Trump Won!