As a stress reliever on the funeral trip to Florida,
I sat in the hotel one night while wife was in the shower,
and drew a bullet on a scrap of Holiday Inn Express note paper.
I may not get to be a commercial pilot by staying the night there,
but now I am a bullet designer !

A reference on copper and brass 450-gr/.458 FN solids:

[Linked Image]

Concept done on graph paper after I got home,
here is a cutie that looks a lot like Sir Saint Bill Bagwell's PH hardcast of 475 to 480 grains in .458" diameter for BPCR
("Smoke Over Africa").
That killer-diller at 1300 fps was 1.22" long and had seven grease grooves on it, and a flat nose and base.
My concept in copper could be exactly 400 grains and travel at 2500 fps, BOL 1.200"

[Linked Image]

The basic shape is the base frustrum of a right circular cone with 26-degree cone angle, 0.240" height, 0.458" base diameter,
sitting on top of a right circular cylinder of 0.458" diameter and 0.960" height.

[Linked Image]

That basic shape in copper of specific gravity about 8.9 would weigh about 424 grains, I SWAG.
After whittling away the Hammer PDR bands/grooves X 7 along the sides
and radius-beveling the nose down to 0.300" meplat diameter (about 65.5% of caliber)
and rounding the flat base edge,
if anymore reduction in weight is needed to get 400-grains exactly: A tiny hollow in the base.
This would work in the .45-70 Gov't. lever action with .458" groove and any other .458-cal rifle I know of.
"405-g" would be OK too if a catchier number than plain vanilla "400-g" is desired.
400 grains or 405 grains, since 402 and 404 are already taken by Hammer .458 bullets.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This basically copies the BBW#13 FN solid nose shape of Sam Rose, Sir Michael "Doc M" McCourry, CEB, and North Fork.
But with the PDR bands, I think the "nose projection" issue is a non-issue
since with the low drag bands of Hammer Bullets, the whole length of the bullet becomes "nose projection."
About 0.600" minimum of nose projection ahead of the "high drag" CEB bands is recommended for best penetration.
How about twice that amount using PDR bands ?

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.