Originally Posted by Riflecrank
At the CEB site here is a 570-gr/.510 brass FN recovered from "elephant shoulder":

[Linked Image]

I am guessing it came from a .500 NE and probably had MV no more than 2200 fps and would lose about 100 fps for each 25 yards initially.
570-gr/.510 sectional density = 0.313 with greater meplat diameter
500-gr/.458 SD = 0.341 with smaller meplat, for greater "Penetration Index" at similar velocity.

Sir Bob,

Could you post that link to the CEB site? I looked through the gallery and couldn’t find it.

Ian curious because the 2nd shot on the bull ele I mentioned previously was a frontal brain shot with precisely this bullet which penetrated next to his right eye, as he turned to his right after the shoulder shot, dropping him. The bullet was recovered after about 3 feet of straight line penetration, from the base of the neck at the shoulder.

I sent CEB a photo of the recovered bullet, as well as an explicitly prepared experiment using the shoulder and humerus of that elephant, wrapped in its hide and fired from about 15 yds. It broke the bone, exited through front and rear layer of hide and buried itself in a mopane tree, many inches deep.

Just as the bullet you posted the frontal shot recovery could easily be reloaded.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now