Sir John,
Just kind of inconvenient when you have to use a drop tube and compress it that much.
The .458 Lott has 0.045" length of powder column advantage, which is piddly.
H4895 is heavily compressed in the .458 Lott also, when you load it to crimp on that Woodleigh cannelure
with the 400-gr PPSN.

Stay tuned, I have a plan for the Benchmark comparison.
Funny that
SWIFT BULLET COMPANY RELOADING MANUAL NUMBER TWO
has Benchmark data for their 400-grainer in the .458 Lott but not the .458 WinMag !

[Linked Image]

Good summary on the .458 WinMag.
Just the facts, no Lottite BS.

[Linked Image]

I have always noticed the Swift A-Frame is bit sticky in the barrel and gives a little slower MV (and/or higher pressure)
than a slicker bullet like the Nosler Partition of same weight. Must be lubricity difference of pure copper versus gilding metal ?
Just my observation.
The 404-gr Shock Hammer with magic copper alloy and PDR bands will be more slippery.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

So, some short-COL loads to satisfy SAAMI.
Note brass used above was Federal and barrel was 1:14" twist and 24" length, by Wiseman.
The .458 Lott data that follows is where the Benchmark loads were found.
Note brass used was Norma and barrel was a 1:10" twist and 24" long, by Wiseman.

[Linked Image]

Historical note above about the .458 Lott is faulty in not telling that Jack Lott waited over a decade
to suddenly realize in 1971 that the .458 Winchester Magnum was faulty,
even though he and his friends continued to use it successfully from 1959 to 1971.
After he helped his buddy create the .460 G&A circa 1970, he realized he needed a new Schtick too.
Thus the .458 Lott was sold by badmouthing the .458 WinMag and totally ignoring the .450 Watts Magnum.
The note is excellent in noting the part that the A-Square Company had in commercializing the .458 Lott in 1989,
shamefully from Kentucky location at the time,
and SAAMI homologation in 1995.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.