Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by HunterShooter58
Gentleman,
I've truly been enjoying these posts!

I was thinking, that I'm out of Bear grease, and in need of some!
Thought this would be as good a place to post as any!
Not trying to de rail the post!

Any one have a little that they can spare?

If so you can P.M. me!

Thanks in advance,
Tony

Tony,

Welcome, and buy a donkey for your contribution to the Crusade for Truth.
If you are bucking for Knighthood, tell us about some .45-bore rifle related shooting you have done and you are in.
All things .45-bore-rifle-related are .458 Winchester Magnum related, starting with muzzleloaders and going forward.
As for the bear grease, sorry, I am all out too.
You wouldn't want any of the last one I shot, it smelled fishy.
Greasy red meat that tastes like fish is not my cup of tea either.

Sir Ron,
Thanks for the Intro! lol
Was able to hunt yrs. ago with an 1886 Winchester, mfg. in 1886, in the infamous 45-90, black powder cartridge, that I picked up from a very good friend, an old timer that I would take out and shoot this thing with, may he now rest in peace!
I was able bag a nice white tail at our hunt camp in PA.
A truly nice deer that my youngest son and I saw, just getting back to the Cabin, for lunch, merely enjoying time together, more so than the hunting part if you will!
He saw a couple does crossing the road in front of Camp about a couple hundred yards down, what we call the South line of our Property, and he asked Dad, I think that last one had Horns!
Only having a Buck tag, he asked how can we get a look at him, as to possibly getting him, if he was a buck. My youngest Son, home on leave,(Marine Corps Sniper), was up for any plan that I put together.
So knowing their patterns, I told him, that other Hunters probably pushed him out of the other section of Hard Timber Woods, and that they'll lay down in the Slashing s, in those bottoms, that they were heading to, and If he gave me a head start, I would post up at the Back side of that Ravine, covering the Valley, and clear across to the old Maple Sugar House, where the other set of Hardwood trees start, coming up out of that Valley, past the Corn field where they feed at night. I explained that they'd lay there all day if not Bothered, and feed on that Corn come evening! "Almost isn't fair" he said with a laugh!
So I put him in motion slowly, and Told him that When he saw me get to a certain point, to pick up his pace, and don't be too concerned about super sneaking, but don't scare them, as to get them flying, Carrying the Mail, the old Timers would Say! Sure enough I'm on stand and had my spots picked out, with the old Girl's open sights at about 110 yards, to about 125 yards at different openings in the tees across the valley up on the Ridge line, I first saw two Does, the smaller ones first, naturally, then a decent size Doe, and then, sure enough, with my Binoculars, a nice small 8 point, stopping and looking back, to see what was, following them, into there favorite, resting spot, for an afternoon snooze! lol
I put that Winchester Model 1886,45-90,(300 gr.) Black Powder Caliber Rifle, with open sight on him, and the picture was a little fuzzy in my eyes to some small brush, that was in front of him, but doing a little reconnaissance, before the deer arrived, I knew that I had two more shooting lanes, and the third opening, my last, was the Best, at that he started to spook, and turned to follow the others as I predicted, and I followed with my Rifle at the Ready, UP, BOUNCE, DOWN, BOUNCE , second opening, no, no , 3rd opening, BAM!
Down he went, here comes my Son, through the Valley, I'm racing down, my side of the Ravine, Can't see the Deer, my Son is now behind me, up the other side of the Ravine, towards the top of the Ridge, not knowing, if he's down, running, scrambling, or what!
We climb the gradual apposite Ravine, Valley, we call the First Gully, (given by the previous owner,Carl, that taught me a lot), up to the Ridge where I last Saw the deer tumble, and my son is sayin, did you get him, did you get him, more exited for me than I was for myself.
As we started to crest that Ridge, my son already knew to slow go, behind me, I saw the Buck, Still Kickin, so as I had my Rifle on him, you could still hear that death rattle in his Wind pipe, and then Done!
No more movement as we walked up on him. My Sniper Son said "DAD"!, "One Shot One Kill' ! lol!

Memories of a life time, for at that Time he just got home from Afghanistan, and Almost didn't come back Home! Like I said earlier, it wasn't really bout the Hunt!

We celebrated, as my oldest Son,who came off stand, the two very close Brothers, were celebrating with me!

Headin out to Buy a Donkey!
Tony

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!