GunLoony88,
Joining us at the Square Table, eh ?
What is your Sir Name ?
I think you might have a Creedmost Match contender if that Circassian walnut is not too heavy.
Anyway, it is about perfect in conformaton for a safari rifle, for anything on the planet.
I missed out on those Ruger M77 RS and "RSC" rifles, having gone with the Ruger No. 1 and the pushfeed Winchester M70 and Remington M700
for my first three factory .458 WinMags, in that order.

I hear they did the Circassian walnut for 1976-1978, after they started making the .458WinMag RS in 1973 ?
A factory letter on the internet shows one made in 1975 in Newport, NH.
One book source said they started the steel bottom metal in 1976 for .458 WM while all the other M77 tang-safety models (since 1968) had aluminum,
though I had always figured the .458 WinMag M77 had all-steel bottom metal from the start.

The barrel profile seems to be a bit slimmer toward the breech on the M77 than the Ruger No. 1,
but do they both have similar muzzle diameter, exclusive of the band for front sight ?
My Ruger No. 1 is 0.815" at 24" muzzle diameter.
Does your bare, naked rifle weigh 9 pounds or 9.25 pounds ?

A set of low Ruger rings for the M77 (a #3 and a #4) weighs in at 4.3 ounces.
With a 6.5-ounce 2.5x20mm you should be under 10 pounds.
Whatever the exact weight, it will be a marvelous shooter.

Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Hello Gentlemen - I've tried to read most of the posts here before posting myself, but I couldn't wait. I have a newly acquired Ruger M77 458 WM that I bought here on the Fire from DrDeath. According to the serial number it was made in 1978. As you can see, it is in mint condition with a gorgeous piece of wood on it! This is my first 458, but not my first big bore - I have two 45-70s, a Ruger No.1 Tropical and a Marlin 1895. I've been reloading for about 25 years, so reading all the good info here has given me lots of ideas of where I want to go with this beauty. I'm not sure I'm ready for full gusto, baby steps smile I have a RCBS mold for a 405gr FNGC that I'm hoping will work, as well as an assortment of other cast and jacketed bullets that I use for the 45-70. This thread has been highly entertaining and informative, thanks for sharing your vast knowledge on all things 458!

Your 405gr FNGC will serve you well in the .458 WinMag if you cast it hard and size it to .460" or .461" diameter, +.002-.003" over groove diameter for the .458 WinMag.
Whether your barrel is a Douglas or a Wilson is unknow.
Another unknown is whether it is .458" or .459" in the grooves.
My Ruger No. 1 is 0.459" in the grooves.
0.461" hardcast bullets work well in either 0.458" or .459" grooves that I have tried.
My alloy is BHN 25 and springs back 0.001" on sizing.
I push a 0.463" casting that has been powder-coat painted through a 0.460" base-pusher die with gas check and it comes out 0.461".
It works.
PC paint is preferred over greasers for best results in smokeless .458 WinMag loads.
If you just want to plink with 1400 fps loads, about any alloy and lube combo will work.

Soon you will be flinging 404-gr Shock Hammers at 2500 fps.
Add a good FN solid to that and ...
one rifle, one planet, etc.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.