Originally Posted by Fury01
That kind of separation is stretching isn’t it? That always hits my mind as the fault of the reloader first and the brass second. Your thoughts sir?

Sir Dennis,

Yes, stretching, and trimming, repeatedly until a separation occurs is the usual mechanism,
suggesting maybe a little slop in the excess-headspace department bringing it on more quickly ...

Here is the factory "Precision Rifle" by Savage that suffered the insult:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something like that format would make a good "shot mule" for testing .458 WinMag accuracy loads, heh-heh-heh.

I once had a case head/body separation on the first shot when fire-forming .410/404 Jeffery.
Sizing down a 404 Jeffery case in a 450/400 NE 3" FL die.
That produced a very weak shoulder, since the 450/400 NE 3" shoulder is even less abrupt than the 404 Jeffery.
Using the .410-caliber pistol bullet in usual direction allowed the loaded cartridge to be driven deeper into the chamber.
The primer lit and powder burned, pressure was achieved.
Forward part of case stayed in chamber after bolt was opened to eject.
Rear part of case fell out of the CZ 550 Magnum that had a .410-caliber Douglas barrel
chambered with a Manson .410/404 Jeffery Rimless Nitro Express wildcat reamer.
I never did that again.
Reversed the Hornady pistol bullet and head-spaced on base of bullet jammed into the rifling.
Flawless fire forming thereafter.

Makes one wonder about the precision of our head-spacing on the belt of the .458 WinMag,
and the gimmick die to handle the belt more precisely.
I have about a thousand cases fired three times.
Segregating cases and keeping track.
Have some new cases saved for once-firing before safari.
Have some .458 Lott brass needing cutting down to 2.5" also, heh-heh-heh.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.