Given the discussions and experience on this thread with the 45-70 I thought I would take advantage of the advice the Knights might be willing to provide.

Planning to use the Ruger #3 200th liberty anniversary 45-70 I inherited from my late brother for whitetail next Fall. I haven’t reloaded much for the 45-70 and haven’t thought of it as deer rifle. But I’m limited to a single shot rifle, so this seems like a reasonable choice to consider.

I would value recommendations from the Square Table on specific bullets which will expand reliably out to 200-250 yds, if needed, on large Upper Midwest whitetails and deliver a definitive blow at those ranges. Preliminary review seems to suggest 300-350 grain SP or HP bullets. Does that sound like the right direction or is a 400-405 grain bullet a better choice?

I have a fair amount of AA2230 which I use for the 458 WM, so thinking about starting with that powder. Other choices I might consider with these bullets?

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now