Very convincing evidence of the strength of the Near rail mounting system.

I have avoided one piece mounts on my heavy caliber DGRs because access to the loading port - both for ejection and reloading - are a higher priority for me in close quarters with DG than the last measure of long range accuracy. YMMV

As much as I’ve gotten to better understand the 458 WM’s capabilities - largely through Sir Ron’s sharing of his encyclopedic knowledge with the Square Table - my use for the 458s, whether in WM, WM+, and now (for me) in 450 Rigby Rimless and 460 G&A chamberings- is definitively dealing with DG inside 50 yards, most often closer.

No matter how good at anatomical shot placement a DG hunter might be, many large DG animals don’t instantaneously collapse at the shot and that 3rd or 4th cartridge, which sometimes requires topping off the magazine and launched rapidly, does frequently save the day.

Having had a chance encounter with a large kudu, now hanging on my wall, at 240+ yards with a DGR 404-375 Ruger in my hands, I appreciate long(er) range accuracy. But IME it’s not my first priority.

Not arguing against the choices described, just offering a complementary perspective. As JOC observed a generation and 1/2 ago, let’s remember that “shooting and hunting is about fun and games,” deadly serious sometimes I would add, but preferences vary as much as our own individuality.

More power to the folks that can make 458s into long range cannons - they are the leading edge of innovation and progress.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 06/30/23. Reason: Add info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now