Originally Posted by Con
Lads,
I dont get to the Campfire often enough...

Re the Penfold 458s. My recollection is hazy, but the original was called "Black Max" and was featured in a hunt where Col Allison and Bob Penfold took the prototype rifle along for a New England pig hunt and Bob Penfold blooded it on a medium sized pig. From what I think I can recall, they featured in the Outdoors magazine (long gone) probably circa very early 1980s. I was likely reading the article in Mr Gaughan's French class, hidden inside the French text book.

The details of these rifles elude me, but pretty sure what was mentioned previously is about correct.

Here is one that I grabbed after Matt Graham's camp was dismantled ... its Leupold 1.5-5x is due refurbishment.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A thing of beauty in its own ugly way, and if only it could speak of its adventures.
Cheers...
Con

Originally Posted by Con
When purchased (after Matt Graham passed away) I pulled it apart to clean ... under the stock line it was full of bull dust from years of travel on the utes. Pure 100% working rifles.
Cheers...
Con

Sir Con,
Wonderful.
Helps with the timeline too. Early '80s.
Still could be Sir Phil Shoemaker's inspiration, or great minds think alike.
Like Sir Joe, I noticed the thumbcut like on a milsurp.
Not the first time someone has done that to a commercial M98, however. Sir Phil ?

So you got the version with deluxe camo paint job and you cleaned the buffalo dust from the stock recesses,
did you notice any Recknagel or milsurp Mauser bedding steel ?

Q: So who needs more power than a 20"-barreled .458 WinMag ?
A: Nobody except a stunt shooter (rhetorical answer).

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.