Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Originally Posted by beretzs
Do you think the 400-450 TSX will expand in whitetail deer RC?

Never thought about plunking one of them into a buck.

Sir Scotty,

Sure it will if it is going 1600 fps or greater.
At that impact speed it would be more likely to expand than the lighter .458-400gr X.
Sectional density drives degree of bullet expansion for any given impact velocity.
But not to worry, if it is a .458-450gr bullet, or a .458-400gr bullet, either one,
the deer will likely fall like this one did:

[Linked Image]

Probably less meat loss than happens with those rat calibers at high velocity.

Thanks RC. I wanna get the 458 out a little this year. Debating on sticking with the 250 Hornady Mono's or trying something larger. I would like to scoop up some of the 300 grain Barnes TTSX's if I ever catch them for sale. It'd just be for deer hunting this year, so I am pretty sure anything will work decent.

If you want to eat the deer, I recommend a 400 to 510 gr bullet @ modest velocity. I have killed several Sitka Blacktails with the 400 gr8 X bullet @ 2400 +2380 fps mv @ various ranges . they work great and don't bloodshock the meat . As long as you don't hit a major bone.
The 300 gr TSX and TTSX @ 2700 +fps mv are too much of a good thing . head, high neck or center of the ribs broadside are the only shots that won't waste I bunch of meat. I've killed 28 deer @ last count with the 458 Winchester . It works GREAT ! My favorite load for deer is the factory Winchester 510 gr soft nose . With the big bluish lead nose.