Hey guys,

This thread just keeps on delivering and would have to be the leading authority on the mighty .458 Winchester Magnum!

Wish me luck gentleman, as I will be out hunting the mighty Sambar again this weekend - and with me will once again be 'Fatso', my beloved Zastava M70 in .458WM.
However, this time it'll be loaded with the 550gn Woodleigh at 2100fps... a formidable load in anyones language!

It's funny, every time I go out for Sambar I think to myself, "you should really take out the .338WM as experts will say it is nearly the perfect Sambar rifle!"
Or "take out the .303 British for the cool and nostalgic factor..." but nearly every time it's Fatso that accompanies me.
This is because Sambar hunting is tough and more often than not the shot that must be taken is in less than perfect conditions, and the .458 has come up trumps every time.
Plus lets face it, it's just plain cool to hunt with an elephant gun.
Fatso has now accounted for Sambar, Fallow and Red Deer and even with less than perfect bullet placement, the .458 just plain and simple puts things on their bum.

I'll keep you all posted.

Russ

'Fatso'
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This sums up the 550gn load perfectly.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...