RIP,

It has been a long time since I have conversed on the greatness of the 458, having been a former C/D league participant in the discussion on the forum which shall not be named. It is good to see the mission is still in full force and am glad that I was able to find this forum.

I offer the following information. My family ended up on a safari in June that was planned and executed in a time frame of fewer than 3 months. Since I had little time to prep and no time to develop any new loads, I decided that I would participate with a 458 win mag Ruger No. 1 (2-7 Leupold) that had not been blooded in 27+ years of ownership with a load (below) that shoots well in it. Additionally, I would bring a double in 450 nitro express. For me, this was a 458 safari.

The 458 load was a 350 gr TSX, 77.2 gr of H4895, 3.44 oal. This achieves an average velocity of 2553 fps out of the 24” Ruger barrel (measured at 10 ft with no adjustment). Pedestrian compared to the 458 wm+, but effective nonetheless, out to 200yds on this trip. Photos here show a cape kudu and the entry-exit on a 110 meter shot.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A number of other animals were taken however none of these bullets were recovered.

As an aside, this particular load provides around 1970 fps out of a 458 win mag 15" encore pistol barrel.

The double 450, with Hornady 480gr DGXs, was used on a springbok at 100+ meters with the expected results. Furthermore, I was able to participate in culling some old cape buffalo cows from a friend's property and you will see below the DGX bullet after it had passed through one cow and through the spine of another. You will note that the petals were sheared from the shank and we were unable to locate them.

JRN