I've been both satisfied and impressed with the performance of the CEB BBW #13 SS FP in the 0.458" cartridges. For the 458 WM, especially when magazine constrained to 3.340", the 450 grain SS retains all the practical penetration of the 500 gn SS and yields 2400 FPS.

The relationship of the exposed nose length and meplat, as Sir Ron has already discussed, is key to straight line penetration. It is especially so when tough bones must be either perforated or shattered on the way to the vital target organ.

For the larger 0.458" caliber DGR cases I have experience with - 460 G&A, 450 Rigby Rimless - and by extrapolation 450 Dakota, 460 Wby, etc. - the 500 gn BBW #13 SS FP, yields 2400 fps or greater, with the attendant additional straight line penetration. Splitting hairs, but for bull elephants I prefer the 500 gn in the larger cases and for the tuskless, the 450 gn in the 458 WM or WM+, as they seem the optimally efficient choices. No need to resort to undue powder compression or overly high chamber pressures with these bullet to achieve stellar results in the field.

No aspersions on the 458 WM/WM+ for bull elephants, but if a loony has a bigger hammer, why not nail bigger eles with it? After all, it's about fun and games, even when up close and in among them!!

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 10/16/23. Reason: Add info, correct spelling

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now