Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Larry,
Thanks for the warning. That may be why I never tried Swift/Blackburn, negative reports like yours, but I forgot about it (Sometimer's Disease).
Sunny Hill Enterprises then.
I have ordered twice from them (M70 drop for RUM, M98 drop for .458 WM).
So maybe I try the M98 standard length for .458 WinMag.

Or, if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Must be that the Browning Safari alloy box front is in contact with wall at front of magazine well, well supported.
That front wall inside of magazine does not have any signs of bullet battering. It remains smooth, slick and shiny.

There is a problem with feeding FN solids from first-in-last-out position in the stack of the Browning Safari .458 WinMag.
It feeds top two FN rounds smoothly, then jams on the third.

Might want to load a 404 Shock Hammer on bottom the box with two FN solids on top of it.

"One shot meat, two shot maybe, three shot heap big $#it !"
So said the old injun.
In case of elephant charge, fire the two solids off the top of the magazine after the one chambered aforehand (3+1).
Make the 4th shot a 404-gr Shock Hammer for sepuku, with elephant to second you if he is still coming.

I can try that Sunny Hill drop box on the FN Safari before ordering the standard depth one.

Hopefully they are doing better.

Those feeding issues can be some head scratchers, at least for me. Magazine rails, feed lips, followers, springs, side compression on the magazine, etc etc.
As with the 458 Winchester Super Express Classic, it feed the 380 grain Lehigh WFN without issue, once I sorted out COAL for it. Then, with the at that time, 400 Hammers, my COAL was reduced from the usual normal magazine lengths. I don't recall the actual measurement, but shorter than you were loading in standard length magazine.

Pulled the magazine, the front looked malformed, would not allow proper length on the first one or two cartridges. This did not appear to be from bullet nose battering, no visible clues of that. And would feed the shorter standard factory loads without issue. Ordered new 458 Winchester magazine, fed longer Hammers without issue. But, it has issues with the 380 WFN. Its upper ends are parallel with the sides. The original are angled inward at the front. Still need to sort this out.

Last edited by ldmay375; 05/11/24.