Originally Posted by bcelliott
Riflecrank, I have a New Haven CRF .458 M70, and I'd like the ability to load the 3.6" rounds. Thanks for your post on how to do it... I found the ejector online, but I can't find the #1110 box. I did find a #1450/1460 box at Midwest Gun Works, but don't know if it will drop into my Super Express. Any suggestions?

Also, at the risk of further digressing from the current bullet topic, as a thought experiment, is there any advantage to reaming a .458 Win throat for a cartridge such as a .458 WSM/B&M that is built on a short action with a 2.8" magazine limit?

Sir Bevan,
Dang, the #1110 is discontinued.
The #1450/#1460 (chrome-moly/stainless) look like the ones used in the FN/SC M70, not the Connecticut Classic.
Best to just pop the spacer out of the rear of your current box.
At MGW, #1030 looks like the Classic box and is specified for .458 WinMag, with block at back of box: NOT DISCONTINUED at MGW !
Get one of those to practice on, to preserve your original box.
The rear block can be popped out with a sharp chisel,
or you can drill out the four little spot welds to make it easy.
Use a flashlight and look down into the block to see where the welds are.
If you do not like having four little holes at the back of the box, they can be filled with solder and stoned smooth.
The back of the box can be easily straightened up after any minor mutilation.
With the block removed, there will be a split than can be JB-Welded or soldered and stoned smooth.
Or just leave as is and just smooth and square the split so all is flush when held in the action by the fit into bottom of action.

My .458 B&M on a WSM M70 Classic has a 3.0" box and is limited to 2.95" COL.
I thought it needed to be re-throated with a .458 WM reamer.
It is now a .458 B&MW.
It will single-load 3.34" COL now and has same case capacity as a .458 WM 3.6" when I do that,
with same bullet of adequate length to reach.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.