Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Bob has a good discussion at his blog, entitled: "Some 300gr to 500gr/.458-cal Bullets Analysed and Compared"

https://bigborefan.wordpress.com/20...r-458-cal-bullets-analysed-and-compared/

I found some images of special interest.
"Bobbed Bullets, Ltd." (not Bubba, not Bobbuh, just Bobbed) is henceforth the name
of the up and coming bullet maker with no proprietary secrets.

[Linked Image]

Sir Bob bobbed a 450-gr A-Frame to make a 402-gr X-A-Frame FNSN that worked through his Marlin 1895.

Below is his interesting lineup with a bullet I cannot identify, the brass or bronze-jacketed RN FMJ,
that looks like a heavier version of the Thompson Center Bone Crusher 400-grainer:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Second from left in the long row above, middle one in the three below:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Who is the maker of the Bone Crusher type of FMJ round noses ?
Bob did not identify it in his blog notes.
The top bullet of the three above is said to be a 600-gr Barnes,
with a cannelure and an ogive I have never seen on the 600-gr/.458-cal Barnes Originals.
Maybe Sir Bob will enlighten me, or sumbuddy who know ?

Sir Ron,
That 600gr was indeed from an original plastic box with Barnes name on it, which I no longer have. I think (if my memory hasn't completely failed) that it went with the CZ550 when sold, thinking I couldn't use them in my Ruger #1, .45-70 LT. Too long for stability in the 1:20 twist rate. In fact, I did try them at about 1900 fps from that rifle and they showed tilting in a target at 100 yds. But that wasn't all it could do in that rifle; I believe 2000 fps was safely possible.

The 500gr FMJ RN was offered by Hornady at one time until complaints came in over it's performance on big DG. I've only fired a few, but haven't tested them in media. One day I hope to. They are called "ENCAPSULATED" ON THE BOX OF 50, of which I still have most. The thick bronze jacket of about .075" "encapsulates" a hardened lead core with a copper "cap" on the bottom end. I must try them in tough media when all is in place. I've no doubt they would "sail through" the same media in which I previously tested several .458" solids and softs.

Many thanks for your continued excellent work. And get that knee back to health soon!

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

PS: I've just posted a new blog on "SLOW and HEAVY or FAST and LIGHT?". The blog you've referenced is still there, only continue on down from the new one.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus