Originally Posted by Riflecrank
Sir Russ,

That was just a couple of grains of powder above max for the Woodleigh Bullets Loading Manual.
That 480-gr Woodleigh probably expanded promptly, eh ?

[Linked Image]

Of course, in Australia there may be no bag limits and game meat is not hoarded like we do it on this side of the pond.
See Sir Spruce's recommendations on .458 WinMag deer bullets if meat preservation is a concern:
Originally Posted by CTF
If you want to eat the deer, I recommend a 400 to 510 gr bullet @ modest velocity. I have killed several Sitka Blacktails with the 400 gr8 X bullet @ 2400 +2380 fps mv @ various ranges . they work great and don't bloodshock the meat . As long as you don't hit a major bone.
The 300 gr TSX and TTSX @ 2700 +fps mv are too much of a good thing . head, high neck or center of the ribs broadside are the only shots that won't waste I bunch of meat. I've killed 28 deer @ last count with the 458 Winchester . It works GREAT ! My favorite load for deer is the factory Winchester 510 gr soft nose . With the big bluish lead nose.

There are plenty of choices, even down to .45-cal 300-grainer at as slow as 1600 fps MV impacting at 50 yards for a total bang flop on deer.
I have done that with a .454 Casull revolver on a nice fallow buck.
This is an example of comparative ballistics.
Even the Sierra ProHunter .458/300-grainer would be a dandy deer bullet in the .458 WinMag if you keep it below 2000 fps.
Sir Russ was a little over 2100 fps with his 480-grain Woodleigh soft I reckon.

Sir Ron,

That load measured spot on 2150fps 3m from my chronograph. I thought it might have touched 2200fps but I was very happy with 2150fps.
It sure as heck must've opened up and I tell you, we lost some good meat which kinda sucked... but boy o boy, it sure dropped the deer!

Russ

You'll probably never NEED a gun. In fact I hope you never do. BUT IF you do, you will probably need it worse than anything you've ever needed before in your life...