Originally Posted by bcelliott
For a while, I've been wondering which combination of solid bullet weight and velocity from a 458 Win results in maximum bullet penetration. This would represent an inflection point in the graph. Of course, the bullet nose would stay unmolested as the bullet was shortened from the back for each tested weight. How light/fast or slow/heavy of a bullet would be the winner?

Sir Bevan,

That there is some complex musing, good question.

More weight, more momentum: more penetration.
More weight, longer bullet, less stable terminally: less penetration
More velocity, more momentum: more penetration.
More velocity, greater resistance from reactive/higher order media like game animals/aqueous media: less penetration
More velocity: even a brass FN begins to deform when impacting water at 2800 fps: less penetration

I do not have the answer except to go middle of the road with a 400-grainer at 2400 to 2500 fps.
Maybe refer to BULLET PENETRATION by Duncan MacPherson.
My next homework assignment ...
I refuse to try calculus after all these years, and just can't do all the experimental shooting required for an answer just yet, heh heh.

Starting with that TBSH 500-gr FN and filing it down to lighter weights would be a start ...
The 500-gr and 450-gr Barnes Banded Solids, then filed down to 400-grains by Bubba ... loading them all to equal momentum levels ...

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.