Originally Posted by BadboyMelvin
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by gunner500
laugh, between the both of us I know we'll get it done, and no trouble if I shear some screws, this rifle wont wear a scope when hunting Africa, I don't need optics to shoot a couch at 20 yards, just like my 505 Gibbs, those 600 grain Woodleighs are scope killing some-b's.

Woodleigh also makes a 550gn RN and Solid. I have tried the 550gn in 3 .458's and the .460 and like it so much I don't bother with 500 grainers any more. Have a few TSX's in that weight and about 1200 TSX in 350gn and 450gn weigh on the shelf plus some 405gn Remington's but the one I miss most is the 400gn weight as I got over 5 feet penetration from the .460 using that bullet and it was an extremely accurate bullet. Also have a few loaded up in .458 cases waiting for a "special moment".
Once sent a group to Barnes with 5 into .6 at 100yds from the .460. Shooting 3 under a half inch was relatively easy. Damn good bullet.

AGW,

I too use the 550gn Woodleigh in my .458 thanks to an article I read written by you in, I believe, The Australian Shooters Journal.
The article was a review of the CZ550 in.458 and also because of that article, I bought my first .458 - a CZ 550 with the Hogsback stock.
This was the start of my .458 journey and I've since owned 4 more and it has become my favourite cartridge.

So thank you twice!

The 550gn Woodleighs in the 24" barrel of my Zastava M70 reach 2080fps and cloverleaf 3 shots at 50m. I will be using this load to hunt Water Buffalo in the Northern Territory next year and I'm sure it will work great.

Russ

Russ,
I got cloverleaf groups at 50 yards with open sights in a model 70 Winchester so it is a very good bullet though will not offer the penetration of a Barnes as I found out on game. What it did offer was that "thump" I mentioned previously as the animal is going nowhere but down. The buff was bled out in the field and still weighed over 2300 pounds on the scales before butchering. I would always have loved to take more large animals but the costs are prohibitive and writing income barely covered components if that.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.