MikeMcGuire,

What a warm reception here !
Just goes to show how little is going on at ardotcom. My imgur account sure ain't going on there now.
I went back to the political forum and could not resist leaving a Baby Ruth in their swimming pool today,
it is a cess pool afterall.
Let us see if DRG and Saeed ban me again for speaking the truth.

Hannay,

With the 380-gr Lehigh you cannot overload your .458 WM Browning Safari rifle with H4895
unless you compress the powder until the case bulges below the bullet !
Just pick a charge from the graph (above) for the 400-grain Speer, and follow Bob's lead.
Use the Speer at about 1800 fps (63 grains) or the Remington at about 2000 fps (68 grains)
or be daring and go for Light Nitro Express with 70 grains.
You just gotta try the loads and find which ones make your rifle vibrate most accurately.

Hydehunter,

With the bankruptcy of Remington ownership of Barnes, is Sierra taking over Barnes Bullets ?
We can only hope the old exclusive contract for the 400-gr TSX production going to Buffalo Bore only
will expire sooner than later.

bcelliott,

Good one about this thread beginning on page 1 + 233.
My first sampling of CFE 223 is awaiting weather to stop alternately raining and snow and for temps to get over 40*F.
2200 fps with a 500-grainer that cleans your barrel of copper fouling would be a good thing.
I also note your suggestion of using the higher capacity Norma .458 WM brass to get charges of CFE 223 bigger without compression.
But that is gonna kick a bit more getting to 2300 fps with more powder weight and slower powder than any other I have tried in the .458 WM+.

Bugger,

I used to think like you.
My first cape buffalo fell to a .416 Rigby Ruger RSM Gen-2, 20 years ago.
.416/ 380-grain GSC FN at just over 2500 fps, atop 105.0 grains of H4831, as recommended to Jack O'Connor by John Buhmiller
for any 400-gr or 410-gr bullet.
It was a bugholer with the 380-gr GSC FN and great with all the 400-grainers I also tried. None as accurate as the GSC FN.

[Linked Image]

That was during my period of .458 WM neglect. I call it my dark ages.
Since then I have seen the light.
Hereafter it is a .458 WM+
and maybe a .375 WBY for a second rifle if I am not allowed to take two chambered for .458 WM.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.